Sunday, February 28, 2016

1,2,3,4,5 Challenge


I belong to an amazing, powerful group of Principals on Voxer from all over the country. Principals in Action has changed my thinking, and challenges me everyday to give more because #KidsDeserveit!  It pushes me to think in different ways to improve my practice, while challenging me. I've been challenged to write a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 challenge from my Principals in Action group. This is my first blog post ever so here goes………….

What has been your ONE biggest struggle during this school year?
Balance is my biggest struggle, by far. Trying to have that work and life balance is difficult. I have a very hard time saying no to people and I continue to take things on. I love my job, and I love the impact I make with children and teachers daily, and I also love my family. So, each year I work on getting better at balancing all the things in my job, family, and life.  


 Share TWO accomplishments that you are proud of from this year.


1.Being part of bringing PD to our district in a way that has never been done before. I worked with some amazing colleagues to put this together, and put in countless hours to make this happen. We designed 5 days where every teacher in the district had a choice and created their own schedule of PD sessions that were taught by their own colleagues. It was POWERFUL! Through these five days we were able to offer follow through on the PD, which had not happened before.

2.Building relationships with my students has been incredible! Now in my third year I feel that I know my students, their families and I have worked hard on this, and it shows and the community is grateful. Taking time to get to know them inside the school as well as out, and hosting things like Coffee with Claire. 

3. What are THREE things you wish to accomplish by the end of the school year?
         

Wow, only three things! I have a ton I want to accomplish by the end of the school year. But if I had to pick my top 3, it would be: 
1. I want to read to every classroom once a month and it will be the same book for all grade levels. I want to show the kids that reading is important, and fun, and this is a journey that we can go on together. Through this I feel kids can make connections to others and be able to have a conversation about the book with anyone in our building. This is a way I can build community!

2. I work very hard each and every day and I have a wonderful staff, and parents that work just as hard. We are often so busy with everything that we do, that we don’t take time to thank people and give them compliments. I want to give more energy into complimenting them for all the wonderful things they do!

3. Learn all about coding, go to training, and figure out how to implement into our school. I want to come up with a plan, and find others that want to help out and share the same passion as I do for this program.

4. Give FOUR reasons why you remain in education in today's rough culture.

1.  I love what I do! I enjoy making a difference in children’s lives and educators lives so they can reach their full potential. .
2. The joy of watching kids smile is absolutely wonderful.
3. When you get to see children love learning and everything come together and make sense is powerful.
4. I believe children can accomplish anything, and I enjoy being their cheerleader. 

5. Which FIVE people do you hope will take the challenge of answering these questions?

1.  Laurie Campitelli who is a teacher at East Elementary and is a very reflective person, who consistently gives her all.
2. Maria Douglas who is another teacher at East Elementary and is very knowledgeable and joined me on the PD journey for our district.
3. Kari Weaver is another teacher at East Elementary who is passionate about her job and students.
4. Susan Williford who is another teacher at East Elementary and always smiling and having the best intensions for children.
5. Nina Studick who is a teacher at West Elementary and she inspires me everyday with her commitment to her students and ACS.

My hope is that eventually we have everyone on the staff response to this post, as I think it will be very reflective, and inspiring.


No comments:

Post a Comment